Sunday, January 15, 2012

Li Jun Dishes Out; Unique Buys from Bangkok and More!

EyeforDIY is more than thrilled to bring you in today’s interview segment a fashion traveler! If you are going on a trip with Hoe Lijun, be prepared for an unexpected quest.The 21 year-old student shows us how we, as DIY-ers, can exhibit our skills, and hunt for the cheapest DIY loots in the most unexpected places. (FYI: for those new to the DIY-sphere, DIY loots refer to DIY finds or buys.)






Tell us more about yourself.
HLJ: I love exploring new places and, of course, traveling overseas. I like to search for photos of a certain country or place and admire its amazing architecture that we cannot see in Singapore. Tumblr is one good platform!

Why do you travel?
HLJ: I travel to relax, and get away from busy lifestyle in Singapore. Like mentioned, I love exploring new places. Also, I travel to see the different cultural norms in the other countries. Like recently, I went to Bangkok and found truckloads of interesting apparels!

What are your greatest finds?
HLJ: At the top level of Platinum (in Bangkok), they have a couple of shops that sell DIY loots and they are very cheap!

At Chatuchak (in Bangkok) – they also sell many handmade/DIY items, cellphone chains with perfect colour combination that you cannot find anywhere here.

Recommend us some places in Bangkok for some unique buys?
HLJ: Platinum, Chatuchak and this night market near the hotel I stayed (Citin Pratum Hotel)






Tell us what are you wearing?
HLJ: Grey cardigan: friend’s blogshop; Whitealley.blogspot.com
Short: Bangkok, Platinum $4
White tank top: cotton on (2 for $30)

What is your take on fashion?
HLJ: I feel that simple is the best. I must feel comfortable in whatever I wear. There is no point wearing a very nice, sexy dress that you are uncomfortable in, and risk feeling insecure for the whole day.

What is your style?
HLJ: I love dressing in very simple outfits. During my lazy days, I will just wear a tank top with high-waist shorts OR jeans. If I go to a party, I will wear a simple black dress with lace OR a tribal dress. Simple as that!


Share with us your weirdest buying experience?
HLJ: When I was in Bangkok, there was this really unique black dress with a sash. The person told us it costs roughly 1200 baht (S$48) at first and we thought that it was really expensive, given the quality and that the place in Bangkok. So we’d decided against buying it and walked away.

But the shop aunty called us back and said in broken English. “Now change to 200 baht (S$8). Okay?"

Although the price has become way lower than the initial one, I was upset because it’s very obvious that she was trying to cheat tourists’ money.

Can you give our readers advice on how to source for interesting apparels during our travels?
HLJ: Don’t always go to tourist spots as the items there will often be more expensive. Google and do your research on their local shopping heaven! Don’t forget to search for related forums to see others’ comments and views regarding the places.

And most importantly, don’t be afraid to explore! You will never know: the shops located along the dark alleys might have the best thrift finds.

No comments:

Post a Comment